I received an email from one of Kinabalu Blog readers, Wenky. I hope you could benefit from then answers that I gave to her. My answers would be in bold.
Hi, Iâ€™m a visitor of your blog, this is my 2nd time writing to you. We have a lot of questions about Mt KK climbing which needs your direction and guidance.
We are going to â€˜conquerâ€™ the Mt KK next month, and since this is our 1st time to Sabah and Mt KK, many things is DIY, without the help of agent. Hopefully you could help us to solve our simple questions. 😉
1) Is it convenient to get public transport from KK city to KK park? What is the price range for bus service from KK city to KK park?
Getting a public transport from KK to Kinabalu Park is quite easy. You just have to go to the bus station near Padang Merdeka in KK city center, and you could see the label and booth for buses to go to Ranau/Kundasang/Kinabalu Park. The cost would be around RM15-RM20.
2) Know that SSL also provide shuttle service from KK city, but how frequent is the service? Is it only 1 service per day?
I am not sure about SSL’s shuttle bus services, as they always revised it. You need to ask them about it here: http://www.suterasanctuarylodges.com
3) Does the Kinabalu park itself provide transport within the KK park, poring hot spring, canopy walk and other nearby tourist spots?
No, but there are public transport available. You just have to get info from the Sabah Park Management office there in Kinabalu Park.
4) Does public transport such as taxi and busses by pass KK park frequently ? Is it convenient to get public transport from KK park to other tourist spots?
5) We plan to stay in KK park on the 1st day, b4 climbing on the next day, but found out the accommodation is pretty expensive, they charge 1 bunk bed in one of the oldest and low budget hostel for RM70 per pax, is the price reasonable?? And what is the earliest time to check in?
I am not sure about that hostel pricing, as it sometimes depends on other services available in the hostel also. You have to ask them about the check-in time, but usually after 1pm.
6) We plan to register at KK HQ 1 day ahead b4 climbing, so does it mean we can directly proceed to Timpohon Gate on the day of climbing without gather at the KK HQ?
No, you don’t have to. Because you have to get a bus from Kinabalu Park HQ to Timpohon Gate. They will provide you with the bus. You don’t have to go to Timpohon Gate yourself. And that morning, you will be given a guide, before you are allowed to climb.
7) Does KK HQ provide transportation form the HQ to Timpohon gate? Is it inclusive transfer package once we register?
Yes. I am not sure whether the bus fare is inclusive in the package. You have to ask the package provider.
8) Is it true that we can store our bag in KK park HQ for RM10 per piece per day?
Yes, but I am not sure about the pricing.
9) Does the porter walk together with us when climbing up to Laban Rata? Can few persons share 1 porter? Since they calculate by weight.
Usually porters walk by themselves, but if you insist them to follow you, they could. Sharing porter is okay, but they usually have their maximum limit of the weight they carry.
10) Does foodstuff sell at KK park such as energy bar, isotonic drinks, fruits sold at a reasonable rate and not tourist rate?
I am not sure about that, but the last time I went there, they are quite pricey.
11) We plan to stay in KK park, any recommendation of nearby eating outlet sell good food and yet and a reasonable price?
There are some stalls and restaurants just opposite Kinabalu Park entrance. Some says that the food/price is reasonable. Otherwise, you can just get a transport to Kundasang town for foods.
12) What other precautions we have to take when climbing Mt KK?
Precautions? The most important thing is to take care of your health. I have written some info on that matter in the website. Here:
Thanking in advance for your kind solution, hope you donâ€™t mind the countless questions above. Thank you very much.
( Ipoh Mari)
If you think you have a better answers, you can just drop your comments in the comment box below. Cheers!Â