Received an email from Mountaintorq today regarding how you can prepare yourself before going for an adventure on Mount Kinabalu. A must read for every Mt. Kinabalu climbers, especially for those who planned for via ferrata adventure.
What do I need to do to prepare for my MOUNTAIN TORQ / Mt Kinabalu adventure?
You will be climbing a major mountain and you are strongly advised to be in a physically fit condition. Here are some suggestions from the Alpine Guides Association:
The best preparation for mountain sports always involves good amounts of cardiovascular exercise outdoors (running, cycling, mountain biking etc) and getting out for long days in the hills whenever possible. If you do the amounts of regular weekly cardiovascular exercise indicated on the fitness level for your course during the 2-3 months leading up to your trip, then you should be reasonably well prepared. Don’t forget to read the trip descriptions / itinerary carefully to find out what else is involved too, so you can tailor your preparation accordingly.
MOUNTAIN TORQ recommends all customers to participate in cardiovascular sports at least 2 sessions a week, with each session being a minimum of 2 hours in duration. The exercise program should commence at least 2 months before you start your Mt Kinabalu adventure.
To check out how mountain fit you are, go to http://www.alpine-guides.com/fitness.htm for further details.
What do I need to pack?
For personal items, here’s a checklist of the minimum essential items on that you will need to bring:
- Raincoat or waterproof jacket
- Warm clothing like fleece jacket, hiking pants
- Change of clothes (you may not want to sleep in what you sweat in!)
- Cap / beanie / head scarf (helps prevent heat loss, especially at night, so you can have a more cosy night’s rest)
- A small / lightweight towel
- Personal toiletries
- Refillable water bottle
- Torchlight (preferably a head torch)
- Your camera!
- Comfortable covered trail/ hiking shoes
- Energy snacks e.g. chocolate, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars
- Sun protection – Sunglass, sun screen lotion, SPF lip balm (beware of the strong UV rays)
- A small backpack to hold your things
- A rain cover for your backpack
- And of course, AN ADVENTUROUS SPIRIT!
MOUNTAIN TORQ will provide all technical safety equipment required for its activities.
Where is Pendant hut?
Pendant hut is located at 3,270m / 11,000 feet on the Laban Rata rock face. When you arrive at the Laban Rata rest house, you will see Pendant hut on your right hand side perched above a rock path.
Where do I meet my Mt Torq trainer for my via ferrata briefing when I arrive at Laban Rata level?
Your trainer will be waiting for you at Pendent Hut between 3pm and 4pm for your briefing. During your
briefing, he will
- Familiarise you with the via ferrata equipment
- Conduct an initial via ferrata practice round
- Inform you on the actual meeting point for your chosen activity and
- Remind you of the cut off meeting time for your activity (6:30am – The Preamble, 7am – Low’s Peak Circuit, 7:30am – Walk the Torq)
Must I attend the briefing?
Quite simply, YES, you have to attend the briefing.