This post was adapted from a local newspaper, The Borneo Post, June 13, 2006.
The Federal Development Department Sabah (JPPS) is being blamed for the abrupt abandonent of the RM4.35 million restaurant and resthouse project along the Mount Kinabalu Summit Trail. The Sabah state Government is pointing the finger at the JPPS for answer to the controversial high altitude project which has not been completed on time. The Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister also said the State Government is aware of the project being abandoned.
My two cents: What a waste of money!. Greed.The authority that approved the project is the one should be blamed. This is what a typical Malaysian do. They do first, and think later…
The project has become an eyesore at 2,727 meters asl, at the junction of the Summit Trail and Mesilau Trail, just above Carson’s Camp (Layang-Layang Hut). It was scheduled to start on June 30, 2003 and completed by May 1 last year. The contractor apparently abandoned it and left leaving a trail of debris at the site including piles of rocks, sand, iron bars and building materials.
My two cents: Poor Mount Kinabalu. No more beauty of a Upper montane/chestnut forest at 2,727 meters asl. If you want to know what I mean, go and see it for yourself.
The reason, according to the contractor was that they could not complete the job due to the cost of transporting materials via as well as the inability of his workers to cope with the harsh weather conditions on the mountain. It was also understood that JPPS officials had met with Chief Minister of Sabah over the abandoned project that is believed to have been re-tendered for a price of about RM9 million.
My two cents: I told you! They only think after they did something. And re-tendering the project for RM9 million? Another waste of money. The money can be used for upgrading the infrastructure and facilities of most of the poor interior part of Sabah. Leave Mount Kinabalu alone.
Former Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Ministry Permanent Secretary said that there is no need for such a building there. He also questioned if putting up such structures with the use of dynamite blasting was in compliance with the World Heritage Site guidelines.
My two cents: I would not be surprised if UNESCO stripped out Mount Kinabalu as one of the reknown World Heritage Site!
Sabah Environmental Protection Association (SEPA) President said the association feared that officials who had approved the project were putting commercial viability ahead of environmental conditions.
My two cents: Yes, I agree. Greed is a good term.