Home » Climbing Equipments
Mount Kinabalu Climbing Equipment Preparations
The best advice when planning a trip to such places as Mount Kinabalu is to use your common sense. It is better for you to divide the climbing equipment into 2 parts. The first one would be from Timpohon Gate at Kinabalu Park HQ to Laban Rata and the second one from Laban Rata to the summit.
You can buy most of the things while you are in Kota Kinabalu or Kinabalu Park HQ. Lucky for you, climbing Mount Kinabalu does not need any special climbing tools. You just need a healthy body and some minimal non-technical climbing equipment. These are the suggested basic equipment that you need during the climb, categorized according to the climbing phase. For those with minimal equipment, it would be smart to hunt for a North Face outlet sale which can be found here to find lower priced equipment.
Timpohon Gate to Laban Rata(0800hrs)
- It is a day climb, usually warm and sunny. So lightweight clothing like t-shirts and bermudas/shorts is sufficient. Track bottom is okay.
- Raincoat, in case of rain. Disposable raincoat is easily available in Kota Kinabalu and Kinabalu Park. Umbrella, if necessary.
- Good shoes. It is better for you to have a high cut shoes as to prevent from ankle injury. Sports shoe is adequate.
- Rubber sandals/slippers. Some of the climbers use only open-toe rubber sandals with thick socks during the first part of the climb. It can also be used in the wet bathroom during your stay in Laban Rata.
- Sunblock cream
- Face towels.
- 1 liter water bottle. You can refill your water during the climb on each shelter.
- Toilet tissue papers.
- Food that is light and easy to eat - like raisins, chocolate, nuts, energy bars, glucose and some oral rehydration salts. Other food like instant noodle, instant coffee or tea, bread, canned sardines and tuna, if you would like to save some money for your meals at Laban Rata.
- Plastic bags.
- Insect repellent (with DEET).
- Medicines (please refer to medical advice).
- Waist pouch. It will also be used during the second part of the climb.
- Your backpack. Better to have a waterproof one. If not, pack everything in double plastic bag in case of rain. Try to limit it to less than 10 kilograms. It would be a burden for you to bring more than that.
- Still or video camera
. This is a must. Bring spare batteries, memory cards (for digital) or film (for manual camera). You would not want to miss anything, right?
- Walking/hiking stick (trekking pole), but it is not necessary.
- Towels, toothbrush and toothpaste. Soap is provided in Laban Rata. You can have your bath in a heated bathroom there.
Laban Rata to Low's Peak (0230hrs)
- It is a night climb, usually cold and windy. So, warm clothes is essential. It reaches below 5°C at the peak!
- Torchlight. Headlight is better as most of the time you have to hold the rope in the dark.
- Balaclava mask. It will protect your face from the cold wind.
- Gloves. Waterproof gloves is best, but two pair of good wool gloves is necessary. It will protect your hands from rope burn and cold.
- Wind breaker or jackets, long sleeves shirts, thick trousers/cargo pants, thick socks and good shoes.
- Ski mask, to protect your head from cold and the wind.
- Small water bottle (500ml bottle is enough). The only place to refill you bottle is at Sayat-sayat Hut.
- Some light foods.
- Camera with enough memory cards or film and batteries.
- Waist pack
is handy at this time as you could keep your camera and raincoat inside.
It is not necessary for you to bring along your one month luggage for the entire trip to Sabah up to the mountain. Sutera Sanctuary Lodges reception office in Kinabalu Park HQ have a place for you to keep your belongings and luggage with some nominal fee. You could contact them for further information. Most important thing is - travel light.
Prev<<<Mount Kinabalu Climbing Preparations
Next>>>Health Preparation before Climbing
Discover How You Can Save MORE TIME And MONEY Preparing For Your Mount Kinabalu Climbing Adventure
So you can have fun traveling, enjoy your trip more and worry less about the journey to the highest peak in South East Asia!
Kinabalu Climber's Guide
By having this book, you will SAVE:
- MORE TIME as you don't have to surf and search Google for additional information on Mount Kinabalu climbing, as this is the ultimate guide for Kinabalu climbers. It's like a one-stop-center of information for aspiring climbers like you!
- MORE MONEY as you can now start preparing, organizing and planning you climbing trip early, so your trip to the highest peak in South East Asia will not burn another hole in your pocket.
Click here to get more information on the book!
Home » Climbing Equipments
Copyright (©) Ruhaizad Daud , 2006-2013. Mount Kinabalu Borneo.com
Climbing Mount Kinabalu Information, Tips & Guidelines is powered by MODx Content Management System